The Westlake Waves Swim Club is having a 7th and 8th grade girls and boys swim team for another great season of competition. Our 7&8 grade teams have done very well over the years and are a superior way to enjoy the best of what swimming has to offer. We will have 5 - 7 meets scheduled against other 7th and 8th grade middle schools in the area, most will be away meets and maybe one home meet at the Westlake Recreation Center. All swimmers must attend at least 3 practices per week. CHECK THE CALENDAR ON THE WAVES HOME PAGE FOR PRACTICE SCHEDULES. Regular practices will usually be at 5:30PM to 7:30PM M - F, but occasionally will start at 7:30PM or immediately after school at 3:45PM. THis part of our seaosn will start about October 19th Meets and practices will continue until December 20th.
Existing Waves that are already registered, the fee is $20. All checks should be made out to the Westlake Waves Swim Club.
Please contact us for more information or stop by a practice.
There are a number of requirements to participate on the swim team:
1. Swimmers must have completed level 5 or 6 swim lessons, have some swim team experience, or just demonstrate some reasonable skills. In other words, you do not have to be an expert swimmer but you do have to know how to swim, and willing to work hard to get better.
2. All swimmers on the Waves must be members of the Westlake Rec.Center or join for the swim season. Please contact the John Bailey for more info.
3. A USA Swimming Registration form, a Waves Registration form, a Waves Medical form and all fees must be turned in prior to the first practice. FORMS HERE.
4. All middle school swimmers must attend at least three full practices each week and attend every swim meet, if possible. You must ride to the meets with the team, with your assigned ride.
5. The Waves communicate everything by email to keep everyone informed and up to date on practice and meet information. If you do not have email it is important to get this information from someone on an almost daily basis.
6. Come prepared to practice to work hard and get better.
This is a great way for students to stay in shape and have fun competing with their classmates. Swimming is an exciting and enjoyable sport that takes on a whole new dimension as a team competition. Swim training is an excellent way to cross train for other sports especially running. This is an excellent way to prepare to swim for your high school swim team. Mostly it is a great time to race with your teammates on the WAVES!
If there are any parents who would like to help drive students to the away meets, we need 4 or 5 minivans or similar cars to take the team to each away meet. We would leave Burneson as soon as possible after school (3:35PM), arrive at the pool, and after a short warm-up, start the meets by 4:45 to 5:00PM. The meets take a little more than an hour and we are usually back at the Recreation Center by 6:30 to 7:00PM.
EVENT LIST (Each event would be swam for girls and boys for a total of 22 events.)
200 Medley Relay
100 Individual Medley
400 or 500 Freestyle
200 Freestyle Relay
400 Freestyle relay